Thursday, January 7, 2016

Balance between Exercise and Rest

Being Balanced

Balance. What does that mean? The definition in the dictionary says this: a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weight, amount, etc. But in everyday life  it can mean so many things but finding balance between exercise and rest is hard to do when you love to exercise. Sometimes we can ignore what our bodies are telling us. I as a fitness coach love what I do and do what I love. But that being said I am not always the best at slowing down when I know I need to.

I was recently forced to slow down and actually put my exercising at a halt. I was so bugged by the news for two reasons. First as I said I had to STOP exercising for four weeks. Second I was 8 weeks pregnant at the time. You are probably wondering what made me slow down. I was having awful pain in my abdomen. We were unsure what it was. I went to the ER and had many tests ran on me. There are only so many they can do while you are pregnant. The doctors had decided it must be my appendix. So  I went into emergency surgery to get my appendix taken out. I was more scared that I would lose my baby then my appendix. So after undergoing this surgery I still did not know if my baby was okay. They would not give me an ultra sound because they said I was not far enough along to save the baby even if something did happen to him/her. But that's another story. Anyway here I was laying in this hospital bed wondering when I would get to go home and get back to working out and coaching. The doc came in to release me two days later and told me I was unable to workout or coach for 4 weeks. I was in shock. I felt fine. A little sore but nothing I couldn't handle. I asked him why I had to wait so long. There were many reasons but I still left a little depressed that day. I thought to myself okay 4 weeks. It will go by fast not a big deal. By the fourth day I was crawling out of my skin. The doc also told me I couldn't carry or pick up my toddler for 4 weeks. Easy for him to say. Let's just say that lasted maybe two days. My son (whom is 2) did not understand why mommy couldn't hold him. He understood that I had an ouchie but did not comprehend that that ouchie made it hard for me to hold and cuddle him. As a mom I gave in. I was careful but probably wasn't a good idea.

As much as I dreaded keeping it low key for four weeks it made me really think about how often do I slow down and let my body truly rest? I started realizing quickly that I don't rest much. As a stay at home mom, fitness coach, and restless sleeper I don't get much rest. Now being pregnant with my second I most definitely don't get much rest. But I feel as if this happened to me for a reason. The main reason is to show me I need to listen to my body and not over do it. I will usually push through whatever pain I have to get things done and to get a good workout in. This time I need to put my own needs aside and put my little baby first. This is a hard lesson to learn but it was a much needed one. For now I will snuggle with my son and enjoy the one on one time I have left with him. I can't wait to meet the newest addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment